Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Reminder: JR on Thurs

  1. #1
    Inactive Member PocketPlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 20th, 2002
    Posts
    1,462
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Just wondering who else besides T-Bo is interested in this gig. I think I talked my Dx today into the show--finds out he has a home studio and plays guitar and drums. Small world.

    http://www.cafecordiale.com/music.html

  2. #2
    Inactive Member ladanny's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 31st, 2003
    Posts
    819
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    YES. Will have some cute single Korean girls with me too. [img]wink.gif[/img]

    Danny

  3. #3
    Inactive Member PocketPlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 20th, 2002
    Posts
    1,462
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    [img]biggrin.gif[/img] [img]eek.gif[/img] [img]wink.gif[/img]

    Bring that mini disc

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ June 29, 2005 01:54 AM: Message edited by: PocketPlayer ]</font>

  4. #4
    Inactive Member PocketPlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 20th, 2002
    Posts
    1,462
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    T-Bo...trashed your email address and none in your profile, so hope you get this...

    Show starts at 9:30. I usually park in the Ralphs' parking lot...maybe I'll try behind the restaurant tonight. I will be there at 8:45 so we can check out the rides for possible trade tonight. I also want to show Joe's Mechanic a new 13" snare head I just got overseas from a contact I made at NAMM. Hopefully he will show up with snare so I can hear the thing.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member jonthibault's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 6th, 2002
    Posts
    374
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Sweet, dude. I'll be there.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member JoesMechanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 12th, 2005
    Posts
    575
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ugggghhhhhh!!!

    Who had too many shots last night!!?? [img]graemlins/gulp.gif[/img]

    Thank GOD ITS FRIDAY, AND ITS A 3 DAY WEEKEND!!!!

    JR!!! WOW!!! [img]eek.gif[/img]

    Forget about a monkey swinging on crack, that dude is an Ape swinging on PCP!!!!

    Whhhhoooolllllyyyyyy Shizznitz!!!

    I don't think I've ever heard such power and phatness out of a (what looked like to me) a kinda sorta "hip gig" Yammy kit with a 16-17"?? bass drum??

    Whhhooaaa!!

    They did a bunch of cover tunes, mostly funk, R&B, some beatles, etc. Took it out to outer space station #9, and brought it back enough for people to be dancing in the isles. And the PHATTEST "Stevie" tune....... "TELL ME SOMETHIN GOOD!!!!" Uggghhhhhhh!!! What a massive pocket!!

    Never seen JR play before, and now I know why he's such the "on call" dude. I'd have him play on my CD anytime!!

    Now.......

    there was some information devulged last night about some HOD members that I feel needs to be addressed.

    Steve?? Should we keep T-Bo on the website knowing that he's secretly a Korean karioke Bon-Jovi fan?? I thought people should know this about the man. You wouldn't want your kids around that kind of influence would you?? [img]wink.gif[/img]

    I am soooo kidding!!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

    Pocket, LADanny, T-BO, you guys all rock!!!! Barry Manilow style!!!

    "I'm a cowboy.... on a steel horse I ride!!!... wanted.... WAAANNNTEEEDD. DEAD OR ALIVE!!" LOL!!!

    peace my drummin bruddahs!!

  7. #7
    Inactive Member ladanny's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 31st, 2003
    Posts
    819
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    As always, great hanging out with you guys. Sorry for those that missed it. T-Bo, I hope you're not to sore from crashing on the couch. Hope my boys didn't scare you too much this morning! But after Soju, anything will scare you!

    Jr. What can you say. DEEP DEEP DEEP pocket. The thing that really struck me was how dynamic his fills are. He would play a 4 16th note fill on 4 with a creschendo (sp?) that just KILLED. Such taste and feel.

    The funny thing is, for someone that has such great feel, he doesn't PLAY with much smoothness, meaning his arms are all over the place. Regardless, WHAT he plays and HOW he plays it just feels so incredile.

    The entire band killed. Guitar player groove like crazy, and the bass player, wow!

    Danny

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Randy walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2001
    Posts
    2,662
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    JR is a great player with a strong pocket but to watch him is painful.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member PocketPlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 20th, 2002
    Posts
    1,462
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    John...this Email came back as undeliverable 2x:
    [email protected]

  10. #10
    Inactive Member PocketPlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 20th, 2002
    Posts
    1,462
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That bass player was awesome! Very cool guy as well. This band, E-Ticket, played tunes I never hear...Georgie Porgie, Sara Smile, Home At Last (Purdie's 1/2 time shuffle classic?...they sounded BETTER then The Dan!).

    Like Porcaro, Herman Matthews, John Ferraro and the likes, at first they are not going to blaze you away like Briggs, Weckl, Vinnie, VD, etc...these guys are all about song & POCKET which lends to dynamics (as LA D mentioned), especially between hats and snare.

    JR, for the most part (LA D can testify to this) buries his beater head into the BD most of the time. His BD was no more than 18" (evidently a kit Yamaha sent over if I understood Joe's M right). For whatever reason, his BD did not sound too good. At the break, he was very frustrated with the BD volume and said he was going to get a larger BD, but came back with a smaller snare (depth).

    Bottom line for me: What would make a guy who has played SO many sessions and has been doing this stuff for SO long go out on a Thursday night to jam with the boys?

    The guy loves what he does and it showed. I saw NO signs of, "been there, done that" with JR. He was "in the moment" and you gotta dig that in someone who's been around so long!

    PS--
    T-Bo, glad the ride cymbal trade worked! I look forward to my new ridin' experience with an Zild A Custom over a heavy. Good luck w/t editing gig!

    Joe's M, I owe you for giving JR that 13" RMV head.

    LA D--VERY GENEROUS of you last night. Way beyond the call.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •